Active retirees new to WindsorEssex have been changing the small business landscape since 2009, launching their 2nd career right here. If you’re among them or have been considering a new business opportunity since relocating to the region, WEARCI, in partnership with the WindsorEssex Economic Development Corporation’s Small Business Centre, encourage you to look into the Start Something New program.
This cooperative initiative is a mentoring and resource program tailored specifically to serve the needs of retired boomerpreneurs and juniorpreneurs eager to connect with a wealth of expertise and knowledge for shaping their decisions to launch a successful start-up.
Toll Free: 1-877-963-2323
Launch your retirement career right here.
Starting a small business in Ontario is a challenge. Doing it without any guidance is an even bigger challenge. We’re confident our Start Something New program will provide the foundation for a start up’s success.
As a member of the Mentoring team your contribution will include sharing your business skills, knowledge and experience with active retirees considering a new business or already in business. Your Mentoring commitment will vary, either face-to-face, online or both.
As the Mentee, you’re fairly new to WindsorEssex, actively retired and an aspiring new business owner. You may also be a young entrepreneur eager to gain the insight and ideas that are critical to a successful start-up but also open to sharing your new-age knowledge.
How The Start Something New Program Works
“Start Something New” promotes Mentoring by active retirees to aspiring boomerpreneurs – also active retirees, who wish to pursue small business as a second career. Mentors contribute solely on a volunteer basis in support of the social and economic growth of the WindsorEssex region. WEARCI also encourages new-age juniorpreneurs to join the “Start Something New” program and access the knowledge and experience active retirees offer. Participants will develop a better understanding of the business opportunities the age 50-plus demographic provides, resulting from the region’s growth as a preferred retirement destination.
- Phase 1 of Start Something New will occur over (6) months between July 1 and December 31, 2016
- Initially, (12) Mentors will be identified and selected by a WEARCI committee, based on a broad range of business backgrounds, experience and skills
- Additional Mentors will be recruited through this website, as determined by demand and the program’s success
- Mentors will be matched with business start-ups based on related business experience and the entrepreneurs specific requests
- Mentors will contribute as volunteers and commit to a minimum of (1) hour of Mentoring per month
- The Mentor and Mentee will exchange information face to face, by phone or email whichever is practical
- New residents age 50-plus interested in volunteering as Mentors, can register with Leona MacIntyre at 519.974.1079 or email [email protected] or complete the MENTOR REGISTRATION FORM.
- New residents age 50-plus and young entrepreneurs planning a business start-up can register for Mentor pairing by completing the MENTEE REGISTRATION FORM.
- Once a Mentee is approved to participate in the program by WEARCI, they begin their Mentor selection here: MENTOR/MENTEE MATCH UP
Are You Mentor Material?
Mentors will be required to have a business background with the level of expertise essential for guiding small business start-ups through challenges and opportunities.
Developer of talent
Are You A Mentee Ready For Business Success?
Whether you’re a boomerpreneur or juniorpreneur, having an experienced business person as your personal Mentor can eliminate unnecessary disruptions while implementing your new business plans or having to rethink decisions when faced with challenges.
As the Mentee, you will gain access to a knowledge gold mine such as:
Education – An example to follow
Guidance – How to bypass the hierarchy
Moral support – Access to ‘invisible’ opportunities
Inspiration – Tutelage in corporate politics
Sponsorship – Insider information
Protection – Promotion